Friday, September 14, 2012

Dutch's Hard Flick Recommendations


After Moliere's hilarious write-up about the terds he's watched this year, I thought I'd mention some of the stuff I've enjoyed watching:

GET THE GRINGO (2012)
Directed by Adrian Grunberg
I already talked about how much I liked this one, but it really is bad-ass.  Coming from a Jew (by birth only) who should hate Mel Gibson, I still think he's the man and insanely hard, and this movie proves it.  I think the prison ("el pueblito"... hard name) is one of the coolest settings I've seen in a really long time. 
THE RAID: REDEMPTION (2011)
Directed by Gareth Evans
Don't need to say much about the film that introduced us to Pierre Gruno, but this really was a hard flick.  I thought it took a little while to get going, but once it did, the fight scenes and action in general (file cabinet throwing) were awesome.
THE INNKEEPERS (2011)
Directed by Ti West
I know a lot of people who don't like this type of horror... the "slow burner" so to speak.  But I think this film was really well made, even though some of the acting can be a bit wooden at times.  There are some pretty creepy parts, and it reminded me of The Shining, which is one of my top 5 horror films of all time.  The director's previous film, House of the Devil, was equally good, if not better.  That one has hard Tom "The Ripper" Noonan (sorry, gay reference) being super creepy, and it's probably his hardest role after Manhunter.  

 
GOON (2011)
Directed by Michael Dowse
I'm definitely not the biggest fan of hockey, but you don't have to be to enjoy this movie.  It focuses more on the fights that break out, and less on the game itself.  There are some really funny lines, and Stiffler actually does some legitimate acting.  Liev "Sabretooth" Schrieber is also insanely hard in it.  Just look at the 'stache, and with a name like Ross "The Boss" Rhea... you can't get much harder.


EXPENDABLES 2 (2012)
Directed by Simon West
It's hard not to have fun watching a movie like this.  Even though I cringed at some of the dialogue (like I do when I watch the first Expendables), you can't help but love watching the Kings of Hardness do what they do best, blow fuckers away.  It was also great whenever Chuck popped out of nowhere.  Definitely the perfect film to watch w/ Moliere.




No comments:

Post a Comment